With over 18 million people working from home, March 8th is "National Organize Your Home Office Day", promoting efficient work at home.
I'll admit I'm not an expert in home office organization but I can pass along a few tips to make your work space look and work better for you.
Tips for running a productive home office:
What are your intentions for the space?
- Pay bills
- Manage your family
- Run a business
- Is it a family space
Furniture for your space
- Choose based on room size and space efficiency
- I can not stress this enough, get a GOOD surge protector
- Position equipment for easy of use
- Invest in smart cord storage
Keep files up to date and accessible
- Schedule weekly file organization
- De-clutter files on a semi-annual or annual basis
- Store older records in boxes to open up space for current items
Paper phase out
- Sign up for eBills from your utility and credit companies
- Sign up for online banking statements
- If possible, use both sides to print
- Use sheets with errors as scrap paper
- Print in black and white to save ink
- Refill printer cartridges instead of buying new
What is your personality type?
Personalities may be distracted by things on the desk and keep them from getting their work done, yet they still like to see things or post things for reminders. Desktop file organizers and bulletin boards are great for this type of person.
Personalities may get distracted by sounds or noises, so having a quiet place to work free from distractions would be ideal, yet they also work better if they have someone to bounce ideas off of. A good tape recorder comes in handy for someone like this who needs reminders of things to do or takes notes.
Kinesthetic (hands on)
A person is the one who probably needs more workspace and doesn’t mind having piles here and there. These are the ones that are more able to multi-task and like to do things on their own. I would keep plenty of notepads available for taking notes.
Celebrate “National Organize Your Home Office Day" (swflcalclosets.wordpress.com)
National Organize Your Home Office Day: 5 Tips (motherearthnews.com)
Organize Your Home Office Day (www.thehomeofficeorganizer.com)