Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Get Your Cleaning On

 
*****I posted this during the holidays and was asked to re-post to share the earth friendly cleaning supplies recipes below. We all should be conscience of what we are doing to the earth*****
 
 
 

I really didn't want to write this because I hate cleaning, I know it has to be done, and I do it, but I hate it.  I thought my cleaning recipes might help everyone get their house ready for their Holiday guests.

Recently I have started to use homemade products to clean.  It's much cheaper then store bought and they do just as good of a job and sometime even a better job.
 
Some of these recipes may not smell nice all the time but will dissipate when they dry.  I'm writing this in hopes that you all will feel better knowing you did something good for the environment.

The environment is really the reason I started making my own cleaning products.   I hear
all the talk on the news and talk radio about how we need to take care of our environment.  All that made me think about what my niece and nephew and their kids and so on, will have to look forward to in later years.  Will they be able to pack a lunch of tuna sandwich's and grape soda, like my mom and dad did for my family and go to the lake for the day and spend quality time together?  Will there be water in the lake for them to even enjoy?   Will gas be $8.00 a gallon? 

It all starts with us and trickles down to the generations.  If our kids see us trying to be green and recycle they will too and so on.
 
These are my favor recipes.  I use them weekly, if not daily.
   
All-Purpose cleaner – dissolve ½ cup washing soda in a bucket of warm water
USE: Kitchen/Bathroom - wash surface, then rinse. Not recommended for aluminum surfaces or no-wax floors. Cleans walls, counter tops, refrigerators, appliances, tiles, sinks, tub/shower, and toilet bowls.

Baby clothes – Add 1 cup of white distilled vinegar to the laundry rinse cycle.
USE: Baby clothes - Helps break down uric acid and soapy residue, leaving baby clothes soft and fresh.

Bathroom mold cleaner – Mix 1 part hydrogen peroxide (3% solution) and 2 parts water.
USE: Spray on areas with mold; wait at least one hour before rinsing or using shower.
Warning: Be careful with hydrogen peroxide; it can take the color out of fabrics.

Dishwasher Detergent - mix 1 cup baking soda with 1 cup borax. You can use 2 packs of sugar free lemonade, if desired, for scent.
USE: 2 - 4 Tbsp per load, dependent on how big the load.

Floor Cleaner – Add ½ cup vinegar to ½ gallon warm water & mop. No need to rinse!
USE: To clean no-wax floors.

Multi-Purpose “Greener” Cleaner – Add the following ingredients to a 16-oz spray bottle, shake well: 1teaspoon soap (flakes, powder, or liquid), 1 teaspoon borax, 2 tablespoons white distilled vinegar, 16 ounces (2 cups) water.
USE: Multi-Purpose

**DISCLAIMER: PLEASE REMEMBER TO KEEP ALL CLEANERS, EVEN GREEN,  AWAY FROM CHILDREN AND PETS** 

No comments: